Recent News, Pending action
- No proposed telemedicine bills have passed yet in 2015. Legislative tracking can be found at the ATA State Policy Resource Center.
- State Policy Resource Center
Insurance Laws and Regulations
- No telemedicine parity law despite a multi-year effort to introduce legislation regarding coverage under private insurance and Medicaid.
Medicaid Law and Regulation
- Search the Rhode Island State Medicaid Page.
- No coverage for telemedicine under Medicaid plans.
- State Telehealth Laws and Reimbursement Policies, Center for Connected Health Policy, November 2013
Physician Licensure and Practice Standards
- Last policy revision: June 2014.
- Requires full license and allows P2P exemption.
- Must obtain a Rhode Island license.
- Requires pre-existing relationship.
- Allows physical examination/relationship to be established via telemedicine.
- Requires informed consent, but only for e-mails and text based communications.
- State statutes and regulations
Psychologist Licensure and Clinical Practice Standards
- Requirements for telehealth are on par with requirements for in-person services. No unique practice standard requirements for telehealth.
- Requires full license and allows CPQ to expedite licensure process.